Experienced Python Developer Expired
Published on 29/05/2023
Université du Luxembourg
- IT Development
The University | About us...
The Luxembourg Centre for Contemporary and Digital History (C2DH) is a research centre for the study, analysis and public dissemination of contemporary history of Luxembourg and Europe with a particular focus on digital methods and tools for doing innovative historical research. It serves as a catalyst for innovative and creative scholarship and new forms of public dissemination and societal engagement with history.
The C²DH (https://www.c2dh.uni.lu/) is looking to hire an experienced python developer as part of a research project supported by the Luxembourg National Research Fund (FNR). You will join a growing team of researchers and technicians to develop Kiara (https://github.com/DHARPA-Project/kiara), our new free and open-source data orchestration engine for humanities research. Working in Python and Typescript, you will build out Kiara’s feature set and work closely with researchers on real-world applications of the software.
What we expect from you…
The ideal candidate would have experience and an interest in data orchestration and data science. We seek a highly motivated developer with the following profile:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in user interface design, computer science or related disciplines
- At least five years of experience developing applications
Required experience includes:
- Python for software development
- Jupyter notebooks / JupyterLab
Experience that would be great — or an interest in learning! — includes:
- JS for software development (ideally including React)
- Containerization (Docker, DockerHub)
- Virtual environments (ideally including BinderHub) and data storage
- Passionate about open-source software development
- Willingness to cooperate actively in a larger team of mixed experience
- An interest in digital humanities, digital archives, and preservation will be a plus
- Ability to meet deadlines and demonstrate methodological, organised, pragmatic and effective approaches to the work
- Good command of English
- Competitive remuneration; contract subject to public national security system benefits
- A dynamic, exciting and equal opportunity international research environment
- Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract 24 Month
- Work Hours: Full Time 40.0 Hours per Week
- Starting date: As soon as possible
- Internal title: Software developer
- Job Reference: UOL04228
How to apply...
Applications should be submitted online and include:
- A full curriculum vitae
- A cover letter indicating your motivation for this project, relevant experience and future interests
- A portfolio of prior work with descriptions of your contributions
- Contact information for 1-3 professional references
- Early application is highly encouraged, as the applications will be processed upon reception. Please apply formally through the HR system. Applications by email will not be considered.
- The University of Luxembourg embraces inclusion and diversity as key values. We are fully committed to removing any discriminatory barrier related to gender, and not only, in recruitment and career progression of our staff.
In return you will get…
- Multilingual and international character. Modern institution with a personal atmosphere. Staff coming from 90 countries. Member of the “University of the Greater Region” (UniGR).
- A modern and dynamic university. High-quality equipment. Close ties to the business world and to the Luxembourg labour market. A unique urban site with excellent infrastructure.
- A partner for society and industry. Cooperation with European institutions, innovative companies, the Financial Centre and with numerous non-academic partners such as ministries, local governments, associations, NGOs …
The University of Luxembourg aspires to be one of Europe’s most highly regarded universities with a distinctly international and interdisciplinary character. It fosters the cross-fertilisation of research and teaching, is relevant to its country, is known worldwide for its research and teaching in targeted areas, and is establishing itself as an innovative model for contemporary European Higher Education. The University`s core asset is its well-connected world-class academic staff which will attract the most motivated, talented and creative students and young researchers who will learn to enjoy taking up challenges and develop into visionary thinkers able to shape society.