EPIDEMIOLOGIST (COMMUNICABLE DISEASES) (M/F) – REF.288
The Laboratoire national de santé (Luxembourg public institution) is recruiting an Epidemiologist (Communicable diseases) (M/F) for the Department of Microbiology in a full time position (40h/week) with a permanent contract.
About the Laboratoire national de santé (LNS)
The “Laboratoire national de santé” (LNS) is a public institution under the supervision of the Ministry of Health in Luxembourg. LNS is organized as a multidisciplinary institute and supported by a professional services team, the LNS includes four scientific departments in the fields of medical biology, microbiology, forensic medicine, and health protection, in addition to hosting the National Center of Pathology and the National Center of Genetics. The LNS is based at Dudelange, with state of the art, modern infrastructure in line with recent developments in medical sciences. Its objective is to develop scientific and analytical expertise related to the prevention, diagnosis, and monitoring of human diseases. Its ultimate mission is to serve patients and citizens and offer excellence in health care.
The department of microbiology offers reference laboratory activities in partnership with various other public and private laboratories in the country. At the same time, it works closely together with the Ministry of Health and the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) on epidemiological matters, as well as the National Service for Infectious Diseases as far as diagnostics is concerned.
ABOUT THE MISSION
This is an unprecedented time within the healthcare system and LNS has a key role in responding to and planning for recovery from the current Covid-19 pandemic. Our new operating model represents a strong shift to public health Microbiology. As we move forward, this is an exciting time to join our department. Expanding our Public health microbiology activities is one of our strategic objectives, we have recently developed a new concept in our department that could evolve in an epidemiological intelligence and pandemic preparedness unit.
We welcome epidemiologist from a range of backgrounds, medical and non-medical, and value the experience and diversity this brings. Our expanding public health Microbiology, embraces this with a strong commitment to collaboration, team working and personal development. We invite you to join us at a truly exciting time.
To complement our existing teams, the department of Microbiology is seeking to appoint a highly motivated, enthusiastic Public Health Specialist to the post of Epidemiologist (communicable diseases). This post is available at full time basis on a permanent contract.
The post holder will be competent to develop, direct and collaborate on research projects and programs in communicable diseases.
The successful candidate will provide leadership, management and oversight of the health protection function, including the response to incidents and outbreaks. Under the general supervision of the head of the department, he will have responsibility for day to day operational delivery including working closely with partners, and ensuring delivery of high-quality surveillance, response and reporting including maintaining international epidemiological intelligence reporting.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
To be successful in this role, you will need to demonstrate a high level of technical skill and intellectual rigor and be able to cope with multiple and changing demands in a fast paced and unpredictable environment.
You will also have strong leadership skills, experience of teaching and supervising students and trainees in intervention and surveillance epidemiology.
The candidate has to have
- A Bachelor’s degree in Medicine, epidemiology, biology, biostatistics, public health, microbiology, statistics, or other health-related field.
- At least Five years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, professional or technical experience in epidemiology or public health microbiology capacity.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of epidemiology.
- Demonstrated familiarity of epidemiologic research methods and techniques.
- Proven knowledge of the methods of statistical and scientific report writing including the ability to prepare and use charts and diagrams.
- Proficiency using statistical analysis software, such as Stata, SAS, or R as well as Microsoft Programs including Access, Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Fluency in French and English (oral and written).
Effective interpersonal and influencing skills,
Good organizational skills including time management and an ability to prioritize work.
Work well against a background of change and uncertainty. Aptitude in adjusting to changing situations to meet emergency or changing program requirements,
Proven experience in decision making
Sense of responsibility and confidentiality. Skilled in eliciting sensitive and confidential information.
Ability to work autonomously and in a team.
Demonstrated excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills in English.
- Conducts epidemiologic investigations of clusters and outbreaks reported to LNS by interviewing cases and contacts (in collaboration with Health Inspection division at Health directorate).
- Establishing and maintaining communicable diseases surveillance systems.
- Reviews surveillance data on an on-going basis to establish baselines and identify trends, outbreaks and clusters.
- Drafts summaries and final reports on investigations of communicable disease, participates in the development of advisories, press releases, alerts for the public, schools, and healthcare facilities.
- Prepares and delivers educational materials and lectures to professional and public groups in order to maintain awareness and understanding of infectious diseases epidemiology and control.
- Stays informed of current trends and data in the epidemiology of communicable diseases, by reviewing the professional literature and by attending, when feasible and appropriate, seminars, courses and conferences.
- Responds to infectious disease emergencies on 24-hours/7 days a week basis by determining appropriate control methods in order to alleviate the crisis.
The above list is not exhaustive and further tasks could be added according to the needs of the department.
If you meet the above profile and wish to apply, please send your application (CV, letter of intent and copies of your degrees) via the application button blow.
The post will be closed once the suitable candidate is identified.